Monday, January 10, 2011

Oatmeal Soup - Light meal for Lazy Cook

According to Wikipedia:

Oatmeal is ground oat groats (i.e. oat-meal, cf. cornmeal, peasemeal, etc.), or a porridge made from oats (also called oatmeal cereal or stirabout, in Ireland). Oatmeal can also be ground oat, steel-cut oats, crushed oats, or rolled oats.

Aside from having it for breakfast I discovered that it can be made into soup. A good friend of mine introduced it to me one time we had a nice lunch together. She's an artist and creative as well with her dishes. She made me this soupy oatmeal soup with some nice green veggies. Well since oatmeal tends to become thick what she did was to put only small amount of oatmeal in a large amount of water, some seasoning and the veggie toppings. Thus, the soup got its thick and rich flavor.

Since then I do not use my oatmeal as a breakfast (with muesli) but also as a soup dish for other meals. Well when I fast and would like to do so dieting it is a good alternative for my rice eating habit. I have tried lots of soup using oatmeal be it thick soup or the light and thinner soup that goes with other dishes. I surprise myself every time I come up with some nice oatmeal dish/soup concoctions. I have not noted those recipes though. But I will come up with new discovery soon.

Well I can also bake good oatmeal cookies plain, with choco, with raisins but that's when I am inspired and not too lazy. Oatmeal is a lazy cook's fast, delicious and nutritious alternative soup or light meal.

Do let me know if you have tried one and have recipe to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be responsible with your comments. As blog authors we have the responsibility to remove comments and ban commentors. Paki-usap lang.
Salamat po!

BlogCatalog