Monday, January 17, 2011

Spaghetti and Sauces

Wikipedia says:

Spaghetti is the plural form of the Italian word spaghetto, which is a diminutive of spago, meaning "thin string" or "twine".[1]

Spaghetti is a long, thin, cylindrical pasta of Italian origin.[1] Spaghetti is made of semolina or flour and water. Italian dried spaghetti is made from durum wheat semolina, but outside of Italy it may be made with other kinds of flour. Traditionally most spaghetti was 50 cm (20ins) long, but shorter lengths gained in popularity during the latter half of the 20th century and now spaghetti is most commonly available in 25–30 cm (10–12 in) lengths. A variety of pasta dishes are based on it, from spaghetti with cheese and pepper or garlic and oil to a spaghetti with tomato, meat, and other sauces.

One of the easiest and fastest dish to prepare is spaghetti. Especially that there are now available sauces just re-heat, with boiled pasta - ready to eat. Well there are micro-wave spaghetti but with my spaghetti, I've some sort of reverence to it when cooking. Well, I just do not use the sauce available in a bottle but I try to add up and make it my own style of sauce. Yes indeed, I am not lazy but creative in cooking spag sauce. Left-over sauce I just stock it and become lazy, I just get some when I feel like eating pasta. So I end up also cooking a pack of pasta and then store it in the ref and I just steam it whenever I use the pasta and re-heat the sauce.

Creativity with spag sauce means adding additional ingredients to it. I like mushroom - varieties of them not just the canned button I normally used fresh ones to give more flavor to the sauce and chunkiness in it. If fresh basil, rosemary, thyme is available that would be perfect otherwise the bottled one is fine. Whatever comes or ingredients available I add them up, canned tuna, canned mixed vege (cubed carrots, corn and peas), but, olives yes definitely I would want my spag with olives - the black and the green pitted olives. So with a base of a bottle of cooked spag sauce I create it as my own by re-cooking it and adding the ingredients that is available in my cupboard or ref.

What if there's no available bottled sauce then that's when I work out my creativity. Also, I am not really fond of the usual and regular sauce I want discover and be experimental about  it as well.

So have you tried baked beans as your spag sauce? I did and liked it. I think I have tried countless other sauces why I need to recall - they are not shocking sauce at all but interesting ones. You should not be limited with the creative imagination you have for as long as edible - why not try it out.

My spaghetti sauce is also used to eat with rice or bread - thick spag sauce can be used as toppings for bread. Just put a quickmelt/cheese on top of it, bake/toast it - you have an oven fresh pizza. I also used it as sauce to paratha.

Wikipedia says on paratha:

A paratha (Hindi: पराठा, Urdu: پراٹھا, Bengali: পরোটা ) is an Indian flat-bread that originated in the Indian subcontinent, specifically in the Punjab. Paratha is an amalgamation of the words parat (Hindi: परत, Bengali: পরত, Urdu:پرت ) and atta (Hindi: आटा, Punjabi: ਆਟਾ, Bengali: আটা, Urdu: آٹا) which literally means layers of cooked flour.[1] In Burma, it is known as palata (ပလာတာ; pronounced [pəlàtà]), while it is known as farata in the Maldives.


It is one of the most popular unleavened flat-breads in Indian cuisine, Pakistani cuisine and Bengali cuisine and is made by pan frying whole-wheat flour on a tava.[2] The paratha dough usually contains ghee or cooking oil which is also layered on the freshly prepared paratha.[3] Parathas are usually stuffed with vegetables such as boiled potatoes, leaf vegetables, radishes or cauliflower and/or paneer (South Asian cheese). A paratha (especially a stuffed one) can be eaten simply with a blob of butter spread on top or chutney, a spicy sauce made from yogurt and fresh herbs, but it is best served with pickles and yogurt, or thick spicy curries of meat and vegetables. Some people prefer to roll up the paratha into a tube and eat it with tea, often dipping the paratha into the tea.

The paratha can be round, heptagonal, square or triangular. In the former, the stuffing is mixed with the kneaded flour and the paratha is prepared as roti is, but in the latter two, the peda (ball of kneaded flour) is flattened into a circle, the stuffing is kept in the middle and the flatbread is closed around the stuffing like an envelope. The latter two also vary from the first in that, while the former is like a thick (in terms of width) version of the roti with filling inside, the latter two have discernible soft layers if one "opens" the crispier shell layers.

Spaghetti is a food you can stock. So for lazy cooks it is just a matter of re-heating sauce and steaming the pasta.

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be responsible with your comments. As blog authors we have the responsibility to remove comments and ban commentors. Paki-usap lang.
Salamat po!

BlogCatalog